6 to 8
4 to 5 mint sprigs (leaves only)
2 sugar cubes (or 1/2 ounce simple syrup)
2 1/2 ounces bourbon whiskey
Mint for granish
- In a Julep cup or rocks glass, gently muddle the mint leaves in the simple syrup.
- Add the bourbon then pack the glass with freshly crushed ice.
- Stir until the cup is frosted on the outside.
- Top with more freshly crushed ice and garnish with a sprig of mint.
- Don’t over-muddle the mint. Gently muddle so the natural oils are released. Too much force will release a bitter compound.
- Pour your favorite bourbon. Since bourbon is the Mint Julep’s primary liquid, it’s better to choose a high-quality bourbon. We love Four Roses Single Barrel but Woodford Reserve is the signature bourbon used at the Kentucky Derby.
- Rub the glass with mint leaves before pouring the drink. This adds to the strong, minty aroma of each sip.
PRODUCTS USED WITH THIS RECIPE
Barista Tool set
Chalet Wood Tray
Teak Horse Sculpture